*Markets whipsaw on trade anxiety and mixed headlines
*But finish with a slightly positive risk-on tone
*USDCNH rejects 7.16 for a 55pip range day
- Commodity bloc currencies ended stronger led by headlines that suggested the US are considering a currency pact and Trump will allow some US companies to supply Huawei.
- AUDUSD +0.3%. NZDUSD saw outperformance +0.4%. USDCAD -0.2%.
- USDJPY kicked it all off by testing 107 then getting as high as 107.8 before finally settling at 107.5 to finish +0.03%.
- USDCNH ended -0.4% down on the day having tested 7.165 topside and 7.1 downside.
- USD was broadly weaker against EM FX but managed to find an exception in USDTRY, +0.2%, in light of the Turkey/Syria conflicts.
- S&P500 Futures fell -1.2% early on to touch 2,880-85 levels but saw the drop retrace over the day to help it close at 2,915.
- ASX Futures also opened precipitously lower to the tune of 50pts from 6,560 but couldn't manage the same sort of pullback, closing at 6,528.
- ASX Cash was choppy but ended flat +0.01%.
- Nikkei Futures were +0.37% at Asia close.
- CSI300 finished +0.5% higher.
- Yields also chopped and changed with the day's risk-on/risk-off rhythm.
- US 10y yields were down then back up to finish slightly softer at 157bps.
- AUS 10y yields also traded to a flat close around the 90bps mark.
- Gold spot had a tight range and finished, +0.1%.
- Brent Futures also stayed quiet, -0.03%.
Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained on this website is provided as general market commentary and does not constitute investment advice. ThinkMarkets will not accept liability for any loss or damage including, without limitation, to any loss of profit which may arise directly or indirectly from use of or reliance on such information.